Planning Your Successful Retirement Video Guide
We hope you find these videos helpful as you prepare for retirement from NYS service as an Executive Branch employee. The videos can be viewed in any order, but they only provide highlights of key information. We strongly recommend you review the written Self-Help Guide to Pre-Retirement Planning at www.worklife.ny.gov/preretirement. In addition to viewing these videos, we urge you to talk with your agency health benefits administrator, a pension consultant from the NYS Retirement System, an account executive from the NYS Deferred Compensation Plan, and a representative from the Social Security Administration.
How to View the Videos
The videos are posted on the Work-Life Services YouTube Channel. You can access these videos via links on each of the pages below, or by searching on the YouTube site for "NYS Pre-Retirement Planning." Captioning is available by clicking on the "CC" icon at the bottom of the player.
You may also view these videos through the mp4 files which can be downloaded, saved, and transferred to devices for use in places without internet access.
If you are having difficulty accessing the videos, please submit an IT ticket to the NYS IT service desk as you normally would for other IT issues.
Pre-Retirement Video Guide Overview
NYS Retirement System Video Topics
- An Introduction to the Retirement System and Membership Information (10:15)
- What Types of Service Are Creditable In My Retirement System Membership? (10:51)
- How Will the Retirement System Calculate My Final Average Salary? (6:28)
- What Is My Retirement Plan and How Is It Used to Calculate My NYS Pension? (12:17)
- What Steps Should I Take to Prepare to Collect My NYS Pension? (14:07)
- What Do I Need to Know About My Retirement System Benefits After I Retire? (10:15)
- A Pension Benefit Summary and Retirement System Contact Information (5:12)
NYS Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP) Video Topics
- Introduction to the NYS Health Insurance Program (7:28)
- Eligibility for Retiree Health Insurance (8:01)
- Paying for Your Benefits (12:02)
- Dependents and Dependent Survivor Coverage (9:11)
- Other Benefits Available to the Retiree (6:47)
- Medicare Part 1: Eligibility and Enrollment (10:03)
- Medicare Part 2: Coordinating Your NYSHIP Benefits (9:47)
- Medicare Part 3: Empire Plan Medicare Rx (11:53)
- After You Retire (8:09)
Social Security Administration Video Topics
- General Information About Social Security (8:16)
- Social Security Benefits (8:41)
- Choosing Your Retirement Date and General Medicare Information (14:33)