Retirement Planning Resources Quick List
Below are a few primary resources to assist New York State Executive Branch employees with retirement planning. For numerous additional resources, please refer to the Self-Help Guide to Pre-Retirement Planning, which can be located online at www.worklife.ny.gov/preretirement/selfhelpguide.
- The New York State and Local Retirement System website has multiple articles on retirement at www.osc.state.ny.us/retire.
- To reach the Retirement System's Call Center with questions or to set up an appointment to meet with a Retirement Information Representative, employees in Albany can call (518) 474-7736. Employees elsewhere in the state can call 1-866-805-0990.
- Pension-related questions can also be submitted to the Retirement System via email at www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/contact_us.
- Employees who are not planning on retiring right away can sign up for e-news on the Retirement System website at http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/members_e-news/index.php to receive ongoing tips and reminders about retirement planning.
Health Insurance Information
- Please be certain to meet with your agency Health Benefits Administrator early in your pre-retirement planning process to discuss your personal situation and any questions you may have.
- Contact the Human Resources Office to borrow the video/DVD called Planning for Retirement: Health Insurance Coverage and Related Benefits. There is also a companion booklet, Planning for Retirement, a Benefits Checklist, and forms you will need. Also check with the Human Resources Office to learn whether group sessions about health benefits in retirement will be available.
- You may access pre-retirement planning information on health insurance through the NYSHIP Online portion of the Department of Civil Service website at www.cs.ny.gov or by calling the Employee Benefits Division at (518) 457-5754 or 1-800-833-4344.
Social Security Information
- Information about Social Security and retirement can be accessed at www.socialsecurity.gov or by calling 1-800-772-1213 (voice) or 1-800-325-0778 (TTY). You can calculate and apply for your Social Security retirement benefits online.
NYS Deferred Compensation Plan Information
- You can reach the NYS Deferred Compensation Plan at www.nysdcp.com or by calling the Helpline at 1-800-422-8463.
- Contact your Human Resources Office to find out when a NYS Deferred Compensation representative will be making an onsite visit to your agency or to find out when one of their educational seminars is planned.
NYS Work-Life Services
- Work-Life Services provides New York State Executive Branch employees with comprehensive resources to address their work, home, and life issues.
- You can reach Work-Life Services at email@example.com or by calling 518-473-8091.
Back to the Table of Contents