New York State offers its executive branch employees pre-retirement planning information through both online resources and Directions seminars.
New York State offers its executive branch employees pre-retirement planning information through both online resources and Directions seminars. The seminars, designed for employees who are within five years of retiring, provide information on planning and the benefits available to state retirees. The Planning Your Successful Retirement Video Guide consists of 22 short videos which highlight key information from the seminars. There are presentations from our partners in the seminars: the Office of the State Comptroller, the NYS Department of Civil Service, the NYS Deferred Compensation Plan and the Social Security Administration.
Self-Help Guide to Pre-Retirement Planning for New York State Employees
If you are attending the Retirement Planning Resources Workshop print this pdf version of the Guide that includes page numbers.
The Self-Help Guide to Pre-Retirement Planning is the same manual given to seminar participants, covering 11 content areas important for planning your retirement.
More Online Tools
- The Retirement Checklist for New York State Employees can help you in planning for retirement and should be used in conjunction with the Self-Help Guide. Instead of being all-inclusive, this short checklist highlights some of the critical steps you should take.
- Retirement Planning Tips is a listing of quick reminders for Executive Branch State Employees. A new tip is added each month.
- The Retirement Planning Resources Quick List has a few primary resources including websites and phone numbers to assist New York State Executive Branch State employees. Numerous additional resources can be found at the end of each chapter in the Self-Help Guide to Pre-Retirement Planning.
- Need NYS Retirement System forms? In chapter 9 of the Self-Help Guide to Pre-Retirement Planning (above) you will find the following forms available to download, print, and use: RS 5042 - Supplemental Statement of Services, RS 6030 – Request for Estimate, RS 6037 – Application for Service Retirement, W4P – Federal Tax Withholding (for pension), RS 5127 – Designation of Beneficiary with Contingent Beneficiaries (for active employees, not retirees). Or you can go to http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/forms/index.htm to download the forms.
What is a Directions: Pre-Retirement Seminar?
Directions was developed to assist eligible New York State employees in planning for one of the most challenging and exciting periods in life - retirement.
Here is a sampling of the information and tools that are covered at Directions seminars:
- Provides a better understanding of the benefits available to you as a retiree of New York State
- Helps you understand how retirement may affect your lifestyle
- Develops an awareness of the resources available to retirees
- Helps you understand what is included in comprehensive retirement planning
Directions is sponsored by the Governor's Office of Employee Relations and the Office of the State Comptroller. Due to the great demand, seating is limited.
If you'd like to preview or print a copy of the Valuing Your Benefits pre-retirement presentation to take with you to your seminar, see the left-hand navigation of this web page under External Resources. Click on NYS Department of Civil Service, Employee Benefits Division. Click Calendar, then on the right of your screen, the Pre-Retirement Meetings information link.
For more information on seminar schedules, please contact your human resources office.
Updated: June 15, 2012
Written employee feedback on the DIRECTIONS: Pre-Retirement Planning Seminars
"Presenters were articulate and knowledgeable. Written material is thorough and user friendly."
"Very impressive, very professionally done. Materials - very good. Speakers - all personable and clear. I wish I had access to this info a number of years ago. I would have attended such a seminar on my own time at my own expense."
"It couldn't have been better. I was very impressed with the patience spent explaining everything to us and answering our questions."